Fall Workshops and Conference will be Saturday, October 29 at Berkeley City College: 2050 Center St, Berkeley, CA 94704
Gerlind Institute for Cultural Studies, Oakland RSVP by December 5, 2015 [ more info ]
I would like to start off by wishing all of you in our learning language community a fantastic 2015-2016 academic year. I not only wish you this in my name but also in the name of our FLANC executive council. We all know that, as language teachers, we often do not earn high salaries and furthermore, many of our non-tenured faculty make even less. I know how difficult it can be when we do not have access to all the resources we need to teach the way we would like. Languages are often not a priority on our campuses or elsewhere. In academia today the word “productivity” appears to be more often spoken than the word “humanities”. This is an uncomfortable reality. But, as we always say at the executive council, “we love what we do because we love languages”. We, the younger members of the council (and many of us are more than 40!) learned how to deeply love languages and our profession from those teachers who were part of the council before us. And new generation of teachers will come. We are working to leave them a strong and vibrant organization that will support them in the future.
I would also like to cordially invite you to our conference in November. Thanks to our kind friend, Francisco Zermeño, and his college, we will host our conference in Chabot College, Hayward this year. Because of their great hospitality, I know we will have another innovative and productive conference. Please visit our website fla-nc.org for more information.
All the best and I hope to see you in Hayward,
Dr Fabián Banga
Berkeley, August 29, 2015
FLANC 2015 conference and workshops will be in Chabot College, Saturday November 7 in Hayward.
“FLANC Rocks” is the theme.
One change from last year is that workshops will not be Friday night before the Saturday conference. Both interest sessions and workshops will be on Saturday.
- Pre-Registration Deadline – October 23. Please note that after October 23 registration will be on-site only.
- Conference Program
- about Chabot College / Campus Map & Directions about the City of Hayward
- Information for exhibitors and Exhibitor Reservation Form
- Questions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Go to Bldg. 700 (south entrance) for check-in. It is most convenient to use parking lot “Student Lot G.”
- From 8:15 AM, Registration in Bldg. 700. (Coffee all-morning in Bldg. 700)
- From 8:15, Exhibitors and Silent Auction in Bldg. 700
- 9:00-9:45: First Interest Sessions in Bldg. 800,
- 10:00-10:45: Second Interest Sessions in Bldg. 800
- 11:00-11:45: Keynote Address and Announcements, in Bldg. 700
- 12:00: Buffet Lunch, in Bldg. 700
- 1:00-1:45: Third Interest Sessions,
- 2:00-4:00: Workshop Sessions, Indicate choice when registering
- 2:00-4:00: Affiliate Associations may schedule a room in Bldg. 800 for a meeting
Files used in the presentations such us power point files, documents and/or pdf files from handouts and other resources
“Petrified Errors: Why Common Errors Persist and How to Evade them?” – Jasmin Banic ( File 1 )
“How Different Kinds of Japanese Characters on Sake Labels Appeal to Americans” – Takako Nishikawa ( File 1 )
“Comprehensible Input for Optimal Acquisition and Fluency” – Contee Seely ( File 1 )
“Using Active Reading and Listening Approach in Foreign Language Instruction” – Robin Berube with Tatjana Mitrovic ( File 1 )
“Speaking Contests as a Tool to Promote Language Proficiency” – Tatyana Neronova ( File 1 )
Any information or images appearing on the Presentation Materials are copyright of their original owners. The Foreign Language Association of Northern California is not in any way trying to assert its ownership of any authors’ intellectual property.